Thursday, November 12, 2015

A Tale of Passion and Crime from Rachel De Vine on Wicked Wanton Wednesday

Another first time author is visiting for the first time today.   Woo hoo! Love that.  Let's give a great big Wicked Wanton Wednesday welcome to the lovely Rachel De Vine. 

Rachel:  Thank you so much. Maddie.  I brought my cover, which I love, and some excerpts from my new book, That Day At The Lake.  How nice of you to kindly agree to host me to publicise.

Maddie:  You're very welcome, Rachel.   I developed WWW as an author platform so publicizing (a.k.a. pimping) is always welcome.  

Rachel:  This is a tale of passion and crime, love and despair, which could either bring them both great happiness, or end up in the death of them both.  I hope you will enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

I admit to doing a bit of Amazon stalking to get to know Rachel a little better and was thrilled to come across a candid bio. This line in particular caught my eye...


"...I often fall in love and lust with my leading male character when I am writing about him. I am a fickle woman, though, because as soon as I begin a new book a new male character takes his place."

~~ Rachel De Vine
 
Maddie:  I've seen many self-proclaimed experts warn authors not to fall in love with their characters (there is no mention of the lust part <wink>), I was happy to hear that you are like me, and poo-poo that advice.    

Personally, I feel strongly that if an author doesn't love the romantic lead, or identify with the heroine, and most important of all, doesn't despise the villain, how is the reader to feel the same depth of emotion?   You run the risk of lacking chemistry, or come across as contrived or "forced" (I hate that critique).  

“In writing, you must kill all your darlings.”  
 — William Faulkner

I'm sorry, Mr. Faulker, I must strongly disagree.  Besides, I think romance is a unique genre and must be treated a wee bit differently.  If we killed off our darlings, heroes (whether perfect or flawed), or our Doms, I think our readers would revolt.  I know my betas would.  LOL

That's my soapbox for today,  Thanks for getting me started Rachel.  Now, let's get to the reason for gathering here and take a look at Rachel's latest "darlings" in That Day At The Lake 
 .
  
Adriana has adored Luca since his father rescued her from an abusive man in Naples, Italy, when she was just eight years old.  Her one wish when she was growing up was that Luca would fall in love with her and that they would marry.  However, life is never as simple as that.  Luca’s father is a Mafia member, and is killed by a gang member, and the two children are torn apart, seemingly forever.

Some years later they meet again, and Luca is now a successful businessman, but he is also involved in minor criminal activities and has become involved in a BDSM lifestyle as a Dom, and, although he is attracted to Adriana, he is reluctant to involve the shy, sexually inexperienced girl in his world.

Adriana takes matters into her own hands, and visits a BDSM club to try to persuade Luca to see her in a different light.  He capitulates, and some hot, sexy activity takes place between them.  However, just as their relationship is beginning, Luca’s criminal past catches up with him, and he finds himself in trouble with the law, due to a jealous gangster turning on him.  

He goes back to Italy to solve his problems, followed by Adriana.  But there they face great danger, with the possibility of not only going to jail, but of losing their lives.  Adriana and Luca have survived their early life traumas, but was this threat one that will prove fatal to them both?  Will fate for once be kind to them and allow them to be reunited once more? 


*****

Here is a little excerpt from the book:

I woke to find the sun streaming through the bedroom window.  Looking up with one eye opened and the other still closed, I saw that Luca was awake, lying on one side and looking down on me.

“Good morning.  Do you want to talk Adriana?”

“No, I just want to fuck.  Oh, good morning by the way.”

“For a prospective sub you are becoming a little demanding.”

“Sorry, am I not supposed to want sex?”

“There’s absolutely nothing wrong with you wanting sex, in fact it is a condition of you being here in bed with me.  It’s just that a good little sub waits to be asked.”

“Sorry.  Then of course I will withdraw that demand and lie here to await your pleasure.”

“Good, a fast learner, that’s what I like.”


Buy Links:   



*****

To learn more about Rachel and her writings and new release, visit her blog at http://racheldevineuk.wix.com/rachel-de-vine


Rachel:  Thanks for reading about my book, and thank you to Maddie for hosting me.

Maddie:  You're very welcome, Rachel.  Come back anytime you want to spotlight a new book.  

Mark your calendars for next week when Ashe Barker will return with her latest, a medieval erotic menage. You won't want to miss that.  See you next week.            


No comments:

Post a Comment